Friday, August 20, 2010

Succulence



I recently found an oasis of color and vibrance at the center of the state farmer's market in the midst of a long hot summer. A distinguished man in a straw hat distributed bouquets of loveliness to many who came looking for a splash of nature's color to bring home. Sweet Williams, Gladiolas, Dahlias, so many dramatic specimens that I don't begin to know all the names of. Many walked away smiling with bountiful color in hand.



My pick was a current obsession with succulents. The plant vendor had a fine variety in colors and clusters. My choice was a Sempervivum, also known as hen and chicks.



I've had an interest in doing a painting of a single one. I sometimes become overcome with these visions of things that I must paint, as with things I must cook, places I must go, and so on.

I also procured a few nice sweet onions and some local fresh okra for making more okra pickles.
I was sad to see that the hot pepper farmer from last summer was not there. We do have our own small crop, and on the "to do" list is "make hot sauce", but the vision of his table last summer was colorfully stunning.

I also ran into an old friend, which made the day complete. There is nothing like a good tailgate market in midsummer for visiting, for inspiration, for awesome fresh food and healthy eating and for seeing the vast abundance that nature gives us. Its great to have these bright and cheerful places to go and find succulents, and other stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment