Thursday, January 6, 2011

Epiphany

Today I look ahead into a new year, into an always uncertain future.
I treasure the gifts I have been given in this life. I remember the special ones who have given me more than things, but memories and recollections of times full of great fervor. Visions of places I wouldn't have seen otherwise.



Here stands Larry looking out over the great Atlantic near one of the places I believe was closest to his heart, Gloucester, Massachusetts, Rocky Neck. Larry probably visits this spot regularly now from his place above that he recently left us to go to.

He was my long time friend, my mentor, my teacher, my co-worker, a father, a grandfather and a divine artist. He dedicated his life to capturing amazing images of the wintry landscapes of Northern New England, the rolling hillsides of Italy, and the rocky shores of the New England shores. He taught me many things about painting and how to look at the world around us. My walls are scattered with his creations. I've missed seeing him for a number of years, but we still delighted in calling each other on occasion. Now I miss him even more.





paintings by Laurence W. Howard
July 14, 1931 - December 8, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment