Monday, June 15, 2009

Great Escape


Flaky, warm croissant with creamy French brie. Fresh fruit with herbs and nuts and spicy peanut sauce left from last evening's tropical feast, and a cup of steamy French Roast with a splash of cream. When I asked my friends to bring a surprise, imagine my delight in receiving the July '09 issue of Vanity Fair, cover story, Johnny Depp! After a late night, a late sleep and awakening to a beautiful crisp summer morning, I wielded my 'zine, my coffee and my brunch to the tiki bar, the happy place of our evening before.

Saturday night was our summer break-out to share a fruitful feast and tunes and libations with dear ones. While many of our friends spent the evening celebrating the Floridian Hukilau, we made our own more intimate version with loved ones.

In Douglas Brinkley's account of his voyage with Johnny, he wrote that they talked of "the need for escapism in a world gone wrong." Reading about their visit seemed as if they would fit right in to our niche in a heartbeat.

We can hope that in sharing our talents and creative passions with those we love, it will continue to lead us to a place where our labors make our lives richer. We escaped for one night to the candlelight and colorful lights of the tiki deck and left our worries behind. We told stories and listened to endless background music, and as everyone left, they smiled.

And so I ask myself, what would Johnny do?

No comments:

Post a Comment